30 March 2010

Obsessing

Isn't amazing what our senses can recall? With our hearing, the first few notes of a song can throw you right back into high school. And that can be good or bad. The sense of taste evokes mountains of memories for me. For instance, in 1998, I had dinner in the cellar of a winery in Napa Valley and to this day, I can still taste the cream of fennel soup I had that night. Every time I have fennel, I drift back to that dinner and that amazing soup. I obsess more of the sense of taste than anything else. It can be paralyzing. It's happening right now. To me. You see, I happen to really like these:

The Flapjack. The English Flapjack.

I first got hold of these devils on a British Airways flight a few years ago and pretty much cleaned out the entire "larder." I love them. They could not be easier to make. Unfortunately, I need this to make them:

Golden Syrup. Doesn't need to be Lyles. But I need me some Golden Syrup.

I have looked high and low here and can't find it. I came thisclose to jumping a flight to London a few weekends ago to get the stuff. That's how gripping this current obsession is. So, foodies, if you know where to get this stuff, let me know. HELP ME!

Filthy rumor has it that one of the Whole Foods in the city might carry it. My mother-in-law is in town and we are going to take her into the city, so here's hoping I can swing by one of those stores and they'll have it. That would make me extremely happy.

No comments: