23 November 2011

On gratitude

With the uniquely American festival of overeating that is Thanksgiving just mere hours away, it's time to take stock of the things for which we are grateful.

I'm still not quite sure when the day made the leap from one of remembering God's mercy to a day of overeating and overspending.  But what's done is done and there's nothing I can do to change it.  That said, I can do my own little part by acknowledging the things for which I am grateful.  In no particular order, and please note that this is not comprehensive, I give you the 2011 List O'Gratitude:
  • My wife, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML - if you've read any of my posts, you know why she's called "the stunningly patient."  She is, in a word, amazing and I am forever grateful that she decided to marry me.
  • My children, Our Lady of Awesome, CAL, and The Boy - I could not ask for better children.  They have shaped me and contributed more to my life than they will ever know.
  • My son-in-law, Awesome - I think he's still trying to figure me out but I sure am grateful for how much he loves my daughter.
  • My mother - I'm here because of her.  Her influence has been incredible.
  • My father - while he's no longer here, his memory and example is never far from my mind.  I have a lot to live up to to become more like him.
  • Nana's orange rolls - just one taste and I'm a little kid again eating orange rolls at her kitchen table in Pleasant View, Utah, listening to my grandfather tell a story over the roar of two television sets that were always on, at full volume.
  • Musically talented cousins - Delta Rae, you rock!
  • My sister - for showing it's never too late to go back to school and do amazing things.
  • A valid passport and the opportunity to have seen some beautiful, memorable things all over the world.
  • The view atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge - spectacular!
  • The joy of super-elite frequent flyer status with my airline of choice, Mother United
  • Faith and testimony
  • Repentance and forgiveness
  • Scripture and revelation, both ancient and modern
  • A Savior
  • A God who knows me and forgives
  • Good family - I've got some amazing cousins, in-laws, nieces/nephews
  • That I'm not serving in the Boy Scouts
  • A whacked-out political system - it may be a train wreck but at least we're free to participate fully in the mess.  Freedom is  a good thing.
  • The Amazing Race
  • That I'm not one of the Duggars - I've never been more disturbed by a reality tv show family, except for Kardashians, who are a plague on humanity
  • A growing food truck scene in Chicago - Tamale Spaceship, keep up the great work!
  • A good meat pie, Cornish Pasty, Maple Bacon Cupcakes, Mexican food - well, food in general
  • That I've run two half-marathons and that there's hope in my soul that I can run like I used to, sooner rather than later.
  • Books, books, and more books.  I'm especially grateful for getting reacquainted with the public library system this year as it's saved me a fortune.
  • The ability to prove myself over and over again.
  • Job challenges, like the one I face now, and figuring out what the next chapter will bring us.
  • Friends, both near and far.
  • Hope and laughter
  • The wisdom of Jack Donaghy
  • $1 drinks at McDonalds - Coke Zero, I salute you!
  • The awesome films of Christoper Guest
  • The brilliance of Eugene Levy
  • The desire I have to stay happy
Well, that went longer than I thought.  I'm quite certain your list is a little different.  Take a few minutes to think about things for which you are grateful.  Write 'em down.  You'll be glad you did.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Well said. I am working on a similar grattitude post and have to agree with you on most of the items on your list. O also love Christopher Guest's work. I'm guessing you were probably an SCTV fan back in the day? Happy Thanksgiving.

Mr3Jack said...

You realize that by stating your gratitude for not being in the boy scouts, you have probably jynxed yourself into that calling in the very near future.

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

I read your wonderful list three times and still could not find my name. Obviously there is some kind of "glitch" with Blogger.

Happy T-Day!