16 November 2014

Grilled Cheese Nostalgia

@seriouseats.com
As a part of the lay ministry that constitutes the local organizations of our church, each Sunday night the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I welcome a group of young single adults into our home for fellowship, friendship, and food. Tonight is no different.

However, when we got home from our Sunday services today, we were both pretty hungry and decided to throw something together quickly. Our Sunday go-to? The simple, but sublime, grilled cheese sandwich.

As those sandwiches were grilling, SML said, 'I always think of your dad whenever we make a grilled cheese, especially on Sundays.' I smiled and agreed. You see, grilled cheese sandwiches were my Dad's thing on those rare Sundays when he was home. Those Sundays were rare, as he was often gone at a church meeting but if he was home, it was a lock for grilled cheese that he made. It also meant, for several years, an opportunity to see him let his hair down, which is ironic since he was bald, and laugh. Dad wasn't much of a laugher. But in those days, Sunday nights meant sitcoms on CBS and my dad laughed - out loud laughed - while watching 'The Jeffersons.' George and his war of words with the maid, Florence, really made him laugh.

So tonight as I waxed nostalgic, I couldn't help but smile as we ate those sandwiches. It's been a little more than five years since my Dad died quite unexpectedly. There are days when I feel his absence more acutely than others, but not a day goes by where I am not grateful for his impact on my life. He was an outstanding husband to my mother. He was so good to us, his children. He served all who knew him well. He was a good, good man.

So, Dad, tonight's grilled cheese was for you. Thanks for those Sundays with you.

No comments: