19 June 2009

Talent on display

The good people at dictionary.com define the word talent as follows: -noun- a special natural ability or aptitude; a capacity for achievement or success; as well as several other things, including an ancient unit of weight, which is completely NOT germane to the topic, but I digress. I've seen talent on display tonight in the cinematic form of "Up."

The Boy and I were lone men in the Garden of Eden tonight, as it were, as the ladies of the casa were out tonight, so we decided to grab a sandwich at Potbelly's and see a movie. Since the "Transformers" sequel doesn't arrive for another five days, we found ourselves with limited options, so we decided to give "Up" a go. Pixar has done it again, even under the heavy hand of their evil dark lord owner, Disney. This movie is clever, funny, touching, and incredibly well-done. It exudes talent. From the writer(s) who came up with the story to those who worked to design it and especially those who did the film's music, you could not help but admire the talent and skill they possessed. The Boy and I laughed a lot throughout the movie and had a great time as father and son. It's a keeper when it comes out on DVD. Go see it if you haven't already. It will lift your spirits.

I will say, however, that the Disney (Parental) Killing Machine that I have referenced before in other posts is present as usual. I know I manage to irritate a veritable army of Disney-lovers, and you know who you are, who follow/read the blog when I bring this up, but, people, C'MON, once again, we've got a dead parent figure, as well as an absent father with a girlfriend/stepmom-whatever and a bummed out kid. When, I ask you, will the Disney people stop trying to work out their parental issues on screen? Seriously, is it some kind of cheap therapy? BTW, Disney Killing Machine - it is not cheap, either. Movies are $10 a pop here in Chicagoland. Please use some of the profits that you are RAKING in and get on a shrink's couch. Please.

Not only was talent richly displayed in the movie, I also happened upon a pretty cool display of musical talent tonight. Check out this piano/cello combo platter arrangement of songs from Coldplay and Taylor Swift. Before you run screaming from the room, give it a watch/listen. The last two minutes are lame so feel free to flee at that point, but check it out:

I see and hear musical talent like that and I want to beat myself senseless for not pursuing the piano. I wouldn't begin to presume that I have even an iota of musical talent but I hear an arrangement like that and wish I had stuck with the piano. Just to be able to make music is pretty impressive and to do something like this, pretty cool.

Well, maybe I'll sit down in front of our piano one of these days and try it again. Who knows! In the meantime, here's to my talent of hack running. I have my first official 5K of the season in the morning - the Fox River 5K. I ran it last year and loved it, so I'm back. It's been raining a ton so it's going to be a muddy run and probably grossly humid and it will be fun. Kind of like this night - it's been good to be with the Boy and it's been good to feel like a Dad again tonight.

1 comment:

heidi said...

LOVED Up! I did jump at least once.

Can't stand that Disney does the one parent thing quite often. It's always bothered me. Nice to know it bothers others as well...

Love the music...I too wish I had kept up the piano.

Good luck on you 5k!