05 August 2009

"Fasten Your Seatbelts"

I spend entirely too much time on planes and as a result, there's a lot I really don't care about anymore while on board. If the video is broken on a short flight, it's no big deal. Just get me there as close to on time as possible and in one piece, it's all good. I do, however, pay attention to what it takes to get me there in one piece. I count the rows of seats from my seat to the exit rows. I watch the "safety ballet" whether it's live or on video from the flight attendants. And the thing I always do...I keep my seat belt fastened at all times. Why? Because I don't need my head making a wicked indentation on a ceiling panel in a Boeing or Airbus. I give you Exhibit A:
Scene inside Continental Airlines #128

This is what happens when you don't keep your seat belt fastened and you mow through some clear air turbulence. You and everything that isn't nailed down becomes a projectile. And not a soft, Nerf-like projectile. You get hurt and you hurt people around you. So then your plane gets to make a costly diversion and you get to ride off the plane on a stretcher. I give you Exhibit B (more fun from inside Continental #128):

I've had more than one run-in with clear air turbulence. Seeing a flight attendant tossed from the galley to the other side of the galley stays with you. So, keep your seat belt fastened. I really don't want you crashing down on me.

Had a decent longer run this afternoon. Five miles. It was a little warm and I had four water bottles on my fuel belt and that was too many. I need to figure out what's appropriate to carry on these longer runs. It wasn't a humid run, but it was great to have the sun pouring down on me. It was just good to be outside. August is already here, which given the last three seasons here in Chicagoland, can only mean that winter is around the corner. I kid (kind of), but I know I need to enjoy the outdoor runs for as long as I can!

1 comment:

heidi said...

On longer runs I always planted water, but if I was running longer than an hour I would take a goo with me. That and water enough for every 2 miles or so. I wish I could get used to a fuel belt, but it's too much extra for me. Way to go with all the long runs!!!