31 October 2009

13.1 - I'm doing it


Since I started this adventure in running, I've kept my goals very attainable and that's been intentional. I did not want to set myself up for failure. I know myself too well and fear that not hitting a big goal early on would have kept me from pursuing it any further. So I've made them manageable. I've been inspired by what I've read in Runner's World as well as friends and other bloggers who have made running a key part of what and who they are.

So I've run a few 5K's now and covered a 10K distance a time or two. And I had the time of my life crewing and even running part of the Kettle Moraine 100 Ultramarathon. And now it's time for me to make a run (no pun intended) at a bigger goal: a half-marathon. And today, I put money up and registered. I'm doing it. I'll run the half-marathon component of the Illinois Marathon on Saturday, 1 May 2010 at the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana, IL. I'm in.

I've decided I'm going to hook up with a half-marathon training group too. CARA, the Chicago Area Runners Association, puts on a winter clinic and I'm going to do that, too. I want to run this one well. 13.1 miles...wow. 18 monthis ago, one mile was not even on the radar and here we are...thinking 13.1 is doable. Am I crazy?

2 comments:

heidi said...

Nope, not crazy!!

Be prepared for the adventure of a lifetime! You'll go through so many ups and downs and in the end...SO WORTH IT!!

Good luck training. I'll be thinking about you as I train as well for one in May too!

I hope you blog it, because it will be nice to read about your successes as well as failures, they can only make us stronger.

Kristin said...

Yes crazy! But the good kind. (There is a good kind.)

Thanks for joining in! I can hardly wait. Let me know what you think of the CARA training.