24 August 2013

Satan's Kingdom

I paid a visit to Satan's Kingdom today. Many of you are not shocked by this but for those of you who may be wondering what I was up to, let these visuals be your guide:
No...too easy, I wasn't in Vegas
Inside Glenn Beck's studio would have been a good guess


HERE! Yes, this place exists and this is where I was
In fact, there is a Satan's Kingdom here on earth and of course, it's an official state recreation area here in Connecticutistan. Now how it got its name or how Martha Stewart and her cabal ever permitted its naming escapes me, but this much I can tell you, it made for a fun afternoon.

The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, me, and the Boy joined several of the youth and other leaders from our Church youth group for a float down the Farmington River. It was a gorgeous afternoon, mild temps and no humidity! The water was not cold, which was good, given my epic and well-documented aversion to cold water. It was great to see the kids having fun and even nicer to enjoy an afternoon in the sun. It was even peaceful, which seems highly ironic given the name of the recreation area.

I'm glad we got to do this. I'm grateful that the Boy is cool with having his parents hang out with him and his friends. That says more about him and the kind of young man he is becoming than it says anything about us. We, his parents, are decidedly uncool but I think we can be pretty fun to be around in spite of our middle-agedness.

But that middle-agedness is biting me now...I'm sore from all the paddling. I need to get the heating pad....

No comments: