01 January 2014

A New Year. A New Day. And all that...

It's here! A brand-new year! Who's excited? Anyone? Anyone? Queue the crickets.

As I plod further into the morass that is middle-age, the passing of another year serves to remind me that time is marching on faster than I would like and that it is using me as its doormat. Now THAT is a good feeling!

Speaking of good feelings, I went back through the last six years (Editor's note - Can you believe it? The Den turned six years old this past December! Further proof of the cruel march of time.) of New Year's Day posts from the Den and I realized I've done a tremendously bad job of keeping my resolutions. Although, if I recall correctly, I swore off diet sodas in 2009 and managed to keep that resolution for an entire year. Win for me! That appears to be the highlight of my resolutions since 2008. I don't even get an 'A' for effort.

I take little solace in knowing that I am joined by the vast majority of those that make New Year's Resolutions in that those resolutions fail. It's cold comfort, to be honest. I'll approach this year differently and for once in my life, I'll keep my mouth shut about the resolutions I'm making. I'll see how it works out this year.

That said, I'm quite certain 2014 will be another year of opportunity, challenge, blessings, trials, and humor, good or otherwise, to get us through it. I know I'm looking forward to seeing Fox News outdo themselves in 2014, although 2013 is going to be hard to top. Look no further than here for their 'Greatest Hits of 2013.' Oh dear...

On a more serious note, for those of you who are resolving to support an organization in 2014, may I ask you to consider investing, rather than thinking of it as a charitable donation, in Room to Read? I just finished the latest book, "Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy," by their founder John Wood. I've not stopped thinking about how I can support them since I finished the book yesterday. I'm still sorting out in my head how I might do that but it is certainly something I'll be doing. My life would be completely different without books and the written word and so would yours. Can you imagine a world where a book is non-existent? Me either but that's the reality for far too many. Room to Read is changing that. So, do think of them as you plan your 2014 giving.

Here's to another year. Make it all that it can be for you and yours.

No comments: