21 September 2014

Late on 48

Yesterday was my 48th birthday, marking another notch in the belt of my aging, but I'm late on reporting on it. For the second year in a row, it started on an airplane and ended in Phoenix with dinner with my mother, brother, sister, and their families. Well, it actually ended with a peach-laden waffle from the good people at My Waffle Crush, but I digress. Seriously, there is no need for birthday cake when you can dive into the goodness that is a Liege waffle.

After dropping The Boy off on Wednesday, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I split time behind the Zion Curtain between the Awesomes' and a BYU Alumni Chapter Chair conference. Spending time with our grandson was a soothing balm in the face of The Boy's departure. Watching him made us laugh a lot. Being back on campus was really good too. To say that it is a unique campus is a bit of an understatement, but it is a place I love.

Saturday morning we boarded an early flight to Phoenix in order to participate in our niece's baptismal service. It was good to be a part of that service, surrounded by family. It was good to catch up. We were relaxing in the backyard when one of Phoenix's infamous dust storms, I mean haboobs, literally swept in, sending us inside to take cover. When, may I ask, did a dust storm become a haboob? I grew up there and they were always called dust storms. What memo did I miss?

We wrapped up the day with a dinner with my family. Seeing my mom, brother, sister, and their families was a lot of fun. It was good to catch up. My mom's unparalleled ability to give gifts that you didn't know you needed was on full display. I am the proud new owner of Krazy Glue and rainbow-striped duct tape. Not only will my windows be securely sealed shut with Krazy Glue when the terrorists come for us, but they will be distracted by the rainbow hues of the duct tape. It's all good!

Indeed, it is all good with another year down. In the end, it's just another day, but it sure was good to be with family this go-round.

No comments: