26 September 2015

Interviews

Just a few weeks ago, CAL started her final semester (that relieved sigh you just heard came from my checking account) of her undergraduate university studies. When she graduates from BYU-I this December, she'll be jumping headlong into the all too real world of work. Her path to full-time work in her chosen career includes months of practicum and internships (to this day, I still confuse the two and the timing of both, so by all that is holy, please do not ask me the difference #fatheroftheyear). She has identified about a slew of hospitals across the country that match her interests and she spent a good part of her summer break filling out myriad applications, packing up recommendation letters, and then waiting and waiting. Welcome to the super fun world of corporate hiring, Princess!

The waiting is starting to end. CAL has heard back from a few hospitals already and all have scheduled her for interviews this upcoming week. Things are now all kinds of real for her.

We've had multiple conversations this week, talking about how and what to prepare for. These are first interviews and are going to be over the phone, given that the hospitals are in two different parts of the country. She got some great ideas on interviews for the job she is seeking from someone who is already in the role (funny how connections through friends pay off!) and she feels pretty good about what's coming up. I've offered to do some mock interviews, but we'll see if she really wants to go though that with Dad.

As she's been preparing and there's been an understandable hint of anxiety around what to expect, I couldn't help but think back to the interviews I've had over the years. At least the days of "If you were a tree, what kind of a tree would you be?" seem to have wained. "Tell me about a time when..." seems to be a staple that we can't excise and lest we forget the opportunity to talk about your three greatest strengths and weaknesses. Yeah, those are gems. One of my best interviews took place years ago in a restaurant in Pasadena, CA. Over lunch, my interviewer (he would shortly become my boss) and I started talking about the industry and it just took off. I got to share some insight and we traded more than a few stories. It never felt like an interview. Isn't that how it should be?

I hope that's how it goes for my CAL. This interview stuff is just a necessary evil. Given the chance to tell her story, she'll shine like no other candidate (I'm the dad - I'm biased and get to say things like that). She's worked so hard these last four years and she's set her sights on an amazing career. I'm eager to see what she does.

No comments: