17 October 2008

The rest of the Bangkok pictures FINALLY!

I have not been able to resolve the issue of being able to get the last of the pictures I took while in Bangkok off my stupid Blackberry but thanks to the mobile Facebook app, lo and behold, I managed to get the rest of the pictures downloaded. So here they are:

This was taken from my seat, 12B, on Thai Airways TG795, as we were on short final into Bangkok. There's a lot to be said for the seats upfront!

Upon arrival, I jumped into a cab with a few colleagues from NBTA, and were off to an ENORMOUS weekend market called Chautuchak, just off the last Skytrain stopped called Chit Lom.

It is stupid huge. Literally acres (they print maps of the place!) of stalls, selling everything from silks, to light bulbs, artwork, pets, and food. Some of the food on sale:

I don't know what it was but it was some serious fried goodness!

At another market, I happened upon the most colorful rice I've ever seen. Each is supposed to have very specific health benefits and curative powers. Amazing!

And the colored rice wasn't unique to one market. I saw it in the outdoor markets as well as in the food halls in some of the fancy-pants mall that have sprung up all around Bangkok.

Food drives me pretty much everywhere I go (which explains why I run now) and Bangkok was paradise. One evening, a couple of colleagues from Australia and I happened upon a restaurant near Pad Pong (avoid Pad Pong like the plague unless you are interested in catching something akin to the plague...).

And here's me in heaven...pad thai for less than $2.00USD! Our entire meal (three of us) was $10.00USD!


From the earlier post, you know the highlight of this trip was my day at Baipai, the boss Thai cooking school. This picture is of me working the grill, prepping my chicken satay (brushing the chicken with coconut milk using a palm frond):

And finally, a class photo:

I'm glad to get these posted...it was driving me nuts, having them stuck on the 'berry.

Fall has hit Chicagoland - it's raining and cool. Didn't get out of the 50's today and it was chilly this morning. Half the trees on the street are now bare, while the other half are still exploding in yellow, orange, and red, but they'll all be bare soon too.

No comments: