24 July 2009

The Dentist and Deseret

After a long, long work week, Friday was a most welcome relief. Got an early start in the home office, knowing that I'd need to use my lunch for a dream date with the dentist. Mercifully it was just a six-month checkup, no big thing. Why is that whenever you go to the dentist you envision nothing but pain? Or awkward results, like this:

Now unlike Lisa Simpson, who wound up with this hideous contraption as a result of being without dental insurance due to Homer's latest fight with his employer, C. Montgomery Burns, I did not come out of the office worse for wear. It was an effortless check up, with almost no lecturing about flossing. That's always a bonus. So another six months until I return to the dental chair. Fine with me.

Today, it should be noted, is the 24th of July. So what's the big deal with that? Well, to most, it's just another day. To members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it is a day rich in history and significance. On this day, 162 years ago, the first team of pioneers, (refugees, really, since they were hightailing it out of the States to escape persecution) arrived in what is today known as Salt Lake City. Brigham Young declared, famously, "This is the place." And the building of a home, a city, and a way of life began immediately. If you've been to Salt Lake City, you know it's become a beautiful place, but imagine arriving there 162 years ago...desolate is a better description, not Deseret as it came to be known. I can't help but worry had I been there with Brother Brigham when he declared that this was the place, that I wouldn't have said, "Really? Can we rethink that? Seriously." The fact of the matter is had I been along for that ride, I think I'd have been an early casualty. But I digress. Yet thousands upon thousands had the faith to stay and to build up what was to them, Zion. I am very grateful for their sacrifice. I cannot imagine being in their shoes, or in some cases, in their bare feet. What they did was an incredible testament and lesson in faith. Around the time of the 150th anniversary of their arrival, a book was published. It was a compendium of journals of many Saints who crossed the Plains over the course of many years. It brought me a sense of their incredible sacrifice and it was an amazing history lesson. It's called "Journey To Zion" by Carol Cornwall Madsen.

Every page was a revelation. Whether you are a member of my Church or not, it's worth the read.

I'm off on my own little adventure tomorrow - a four-plus one-way drive to Wisconsin to drop the Boy off at camp. So eight, nearly nine hours of driving tomorrow. I've got about five hours of "This American Life" podcasts to catch up on, so it'll be good. And two more days until the stunningly patient SML returns. Woo and Hoo!

No comments: