10 July 2009

Make it stop

From time to time, I get fixated on a certain song and I can't let it go. Usually it's a song from my college or high school years and it causes a flood of good memories. I'll play it over and over on my iPod. I'll watch the associated video on YouTube. And then, as quickly as I got fixated, it goes away.

Lately, things have taken a weird turn. For weeks, recently, I could not stop listening to "Underneath" by the ever-pretentious Alanis Morrisette. I could not let it go. Then a few days ago, while listening to a story on NPR, a song was played as a bumper to the story, and that was it. I was instantly transported to the late 70's and an 8-track tape and hanging out on the beach in San Carlos, Mexico. For those not familiar with the legendary 8-track tape, here you go:

In the late 70's, we spent part of our summers in San Carlos, Mexico. It beat the heck out of the nightmare that was Scout Camp, can I just tell you? It was an exciting time but as it was the late 70's, it was also a weird time, especially musically. I recall sitting on the beach at night, listening to 8-tracks. One of those that we listened to was a Carpenters tape. They did a bizarre, bizarre song about aliens called "Calling Occupants of Interstellar Craft" and I remember listening to it on the beach. It was a nutty song for a brother-and-sister team to be singing. But then again, one could argue that a lot of what the Carpenters did was nutty, even creepy. But then again, there's precedent of creepy brother/sister duos: Donny and Marie, Pimpenela. Say what you will about them, though, Karen Carpenter had an amazing voice.

Well, that song played at the end of that NPR story and it's been stuck on me ever since. It's been downloaded to my iPod. I even found a video on YouTube. This thing is a train wreck. It's clearly taken from a TV special they did and it's a 70's mess. It was made around the height of "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" mania. Jon Davidson and I swear the blonde is Suzanne Somers. I'm guessing their special effects budget was about $17.00. It's awful. And I can't get this song out of my head. Make.It.Stop.

So I've decided to share my pain. Here it is:

Like I said, Make.It.Stop!

1 comment:

heidi said...

Well I didn't listen to the whole thing but it does have that Carpenter feel and that hypnotic way their music sucks you in...it's not a bad song. I too grew up on the Carpenter's and love many of their songs!!