12 February 2010

Did I Suddenly Become the Bionic Man?

My work day dawned before the dawn today, as I was up and going at 530AM. I really needed to track down someone in Europe for some answers, which alas, I never got. I also had a lunch meeting with one of the company's preferred suppliers so I had to break away to make that. By the time 430PM rolled around, I was ready to be done with my work day.

With temps in the high 20s and the sun falling, I went for a run. I'd gotten through the drama of linking the new Nike+ device and as I started my run, I saw that it was tracking. Yes! All good. It was a good brisk run. No ice on the roads I ran, which was a relief. I wasn't paying much attention to my pacing as I was feeling good. So I was more than a little shocked when I got home and checked my stats. According to the Nike+, I'd become a bit of the Bionic Man on my run:

DISTANCE 4.57 Miles
TIME 36 Minutes
PACE 7:54 min/mi
CALORIES 666


Um, as much as I'd like to think that I'd become some kind of speed demon, there was just no way. The only thing demonic about it was my calorie burn -666- thank you, Mark of The Beast.

I went to the USATF website and traced my run-it showed a 3.57 mile course-and from what I can tell, the calibration is off by a mile. Lovely. So I'll need to reset and recalibrate tomorrow for my long run. If that doesn't do the trick, I may have to get a Garmin. But do I really want a laptop on my wrist? Not so much.

I mentioned I had lunch with a supplier today. It was pretty funny to find out that several of them had found my blog (yes, this blog) and had read up. Realizing that they had read about me puking a lung at 37,000 feet made me laugh. I don't think I've ever made much of a secret of who I am and what I experience. This blog certainly reflects that. And I'm going to keep it going.

No comments: