23 December 2010

On my parents' 52nd wedding anniversary

Today is my parents' 52nd wedding anniversary.  This marks the second anniversary my Mom will celebrate alone since Dad died a few months shy of their 51st anniversary.  My thoughts are certainly with her today as I know she misses Dad terribly and I'm quite certain she'd be just as happy celebrating with him on the other side, rather than being alone here.  But, alas, that's not how it is right now.

I am most appreciative of the example set in my parents' long and loving marriage.  My father put my mother first.  She was his queen and he treated her accordingly.  Awesome example.  It still seems unreal that my parents would even find each other - Dad raised in Philadelphia in a Sunday coat-and-tie, dress for dinner family and Mom raised in Ogden, UT, in a farming/cowboy family.  Different backgrounds to say the least.  But their story was meant to be.  I'm glad it was written the way it was.  I'm forever blessed to have been their first-born.  Thank you, Mom and Dad.  And Dad, I miss you every day.

And now the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML find ourselves about to celebrate our 22nd anniversary.  While it's safe to say our story has been written far differently than my parents was, it's been a great read and it's not done.  That's pretty exciting.  I'm glad we're writing the next chapters together.

No comments: