25 December 2010

On a Quiet Christmas Morning

It's still too early here in the Den.  Once again, I've awoken obscenely early - 415AM, just like yesterday, unable to go back to sleep.  The house is quiet, well, quiet enough that I can hear the ticking of the clock on the other side of the room (until, of course, our furnace kicks on, and then at that point, the dead will rise from the racket).

It's snowed a bit overnight so there's shoveling to be done.  I'll do that on my own.  The Boy can sleep (Merry Christmas to you!).  I'm looking forward to it, actually.  There's something peaceful to the work of shoveling snow.  Or maybe it's just peaceful today, given that it's Christmas.  Anyway, I'll throw on my iPod and listen to Handel's Messiah as I do.  What a great piece of music!

It's going to be a good Christmas day - we had a great dinner as a family last night, shared our favorite Christmas stories, and laughed a bit.  It was a good set-up for today.  I have the baked french toast concoction mostly ready to go and then we move on to our traditional Mexican lunch.  We scored fresh tamales (rojo y verde) yesterday after quixotic journey and I can't wait to try those.  Nothing says Christmas like tamales and enchiladas!

It's just going to be good to spend the day together as a family and with friends.  We have been richly blessed and I'm so grateful for the One, our Savior, whose birth we celebrate today.  For without Him, I would not have the blessings that I do.  I am thankful.

No comments: