06 August 2011

It's that much closer

This past Thursday night, Our Lady of BYU returned home for the last time as a single woman.  She came home for yet another bridal shower.  This one is being hosted by, I have to say, a group of really pretty wonderful women in our ward.  They are friends of the might fine and stunningly patient SML and they've made Our Lady a part of their lives. 

I believe this is the second of three bridal showers for her.  With less than four weeks to go now until the wedding, I can say in all honesty that this whole bridal/wedding thing is simply unbelievable.  I see completely how one could go completely over the top and burn through a life saving's on an event like this.  I know I've made some jokes, and that's what they are (for the most part), about the cost of my first-born's wedding, but I will say we are most fortunate.  Our Lady and Awesome have done a great job in making this a great wedding without sending either set of parents into a forced liquidation. 

I'm not home today to see the shower shenanigans, which is probably for the best.  As I said good-bye to Our Lady yesterday afternoon, I was a bit emotional internally.  As I hugged her, I realized that the next time I see her, we'll be in Utah with only two days to go before she marries.  I'm still trying to take it all in.  Whew....

And why was I saying good-bye to her last night?  I flew to PHX last night to see my mom and to attend my sister's graduation from her Physican's Assistant (P.A.) program today.  Very proud of my sister.  This is a big day for her.  It's good to have a medical professional in the family too.  Her counsel during some of my medical bruhaha earlier this year made a huge difference (Valium, you sweet thing, I'm talking to you!).  If she keeps making suggestions like that, I'm all kinds of happy.

It was the usual ridiculousness getting out of ORD last night.  It started with the very angry pre-op tranny/shim TSA agent who's years in Customer Service at the DMV prepared he/she well for the TSA job.  Boarding the flight was essentially a melee.  There were three wheelchair pax, a tour group of 30 Korean middle-schoolers, a guy with a cat who was in full melt-down mode (the cat not the man), and a guy who hadn't showered in at least a month.  As soon as he walked by, eyes started watering and everyone grabbed for the air nozzles in the PSU's (Passenger Service Units) above their seats.  Flying's the best,  isn't it?

1 comment:

Kari Nitzel said...

Hopefully that guy didn't end up sitting next to you!