28 August 2011

On the edge

As this Sunday draws to a close, it is more than apparent that we are on the edge here in the Den.  We are not on the edge of glory, no matter what that fourth or fifth sign of the Apocalypse, Lady Gaga, has to say about it.  Nor are we on the edge of a cliff pondering our next move, like the unicyclist in the picture.

Instead, we find ourselves on the edge of significant change.  I've been alive long enough and have survived more than a few "change management" seminars at work to know that change is essentially one of the few constants that we have in life.  And we are getting a large serving of change this upcoming week. 

First, Our Lady of BYU, my first-born, marries Awesome on Thursday.  They will begin a new life as a family of two, with us, and all sorts of other folks, cheering for them from the sidelines.  This is an exciting time for them.  It's a very, well, interesting time for us.  I'm still processing this change in our lives.  The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML is in a much better state than I am, but then, when isn't she?  It's going to be a great week, seeing family and friends, and watching these two kick off their new life.  It really is going to be good.

And then, after bidding farewell to Our Lady, I then have to say good-bye to CAL.  She won't be coming back for several months as she embarks on her freshman year of college.  She's all kinds of ready and she's going to do great.  I'm really excited for her.  But it's going to be tough to say good-bye, even if it's only for a few months.

And then there's the Boy.  He'll be the King of the Castle.  He'll also be turning 16.  That's a whole new fun dynamic.  And my insurance company couldn't be more excited about this birthday.  I think they are building a new lounge at their HQ with our premium increase.  I think that increase is the real reason to be on the edge.


1 comment:

Monty Newlin said...

Michael, first, don't ever post a picture like that again! My heart stopped when I opened your post. Second, these changes are hard, but this is what we raised them for, right? This is what we wanted for them someday.(?) How did that someday become now? I'll stop now, before I break into a chorus of "Sunrise, Sunsent."