17 September 2011

The Holy War

Lo, that this were an educational post on the wars throughout the centuries that have been called "Holy Wars," like the Crusades or the Arab-Israeli conflict.  No, no such redeeming content to be found today.  Of course, I refer to this Holy War:
Yep, it's that time again.  BYU and Utah.  They go to battle this evening.  It's going to be an interesting night.  College football is full of epic rivalries, but in all the histrionics of those rivalries, the Cougar/Ute rivalry is, shall we say, intense.

Church services and their moods will be determined by the outcome of tonight's spectacle.  So tomorrow, some services will seem joyous, others funerial.  Tonight, during the game, families will be divided.  Accusations will be thrown.  Things will be said that were probably better left unsaid.  Sounds like a good time will be had by all.

My thoughts on the shenanigans?  It's too dang early in the season to get hysterical over this game.  I figure that's blasphemous to both sides, but seriously, it's just too early to get worked up.  I guess it's time to invoke the words of a wise man who felt compelled to comment on the state of this rivalry a few years ago when it got just a tad heated (Max Hall, I'm talking to you).  This wise man said:  "Both sides of this rivalry need to take responsibility for their words and conduct.  Remember, folks - it's just a game."

Duly noted.  Enjoy the War tonight, one and all.

2 comments:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Funerial? Nice word. Glad to have you back - you have quiet this week. I'm keeping a low profile about the BYU-Utah game, because I'm afraid the Coug's are going to get beat.

Kari Nitzel said...

Yes, it does split families. Fortunately I have my mother's quality of being laid-back and easy going.
I like both teams and love to cheer them both on. Like I said every year 'I don't care who wins, I just want a close, exciting game.'
Enjoy the game!