23 January 2012

Kung Hei Fat Choi

Kung Hei Fat Choi, readers.

"Kung, what?" you ask, hoping that this is not going to be a diatribe about the 1970's television show, "Kung Fu."  Let me assure you it is not, although I could go on for what a hot mess that thing was, but I won't, other than to say that the late David Carradine owes us and grasshoppers everywhere an apology.

Today is the first day of Chinese New Year.  2012 is the Year of the Dragon and I am really glad it's here.  Primarily because I get to cook.  My steamer baskets are out, the wok is ready but the rice cooker is dead.  That's not good but I'll make due.  If it goes horribly wrong, there's a Chinese joint not far from the Den that I can use as a backup.

This celebration, like almost all things Asian, fascinates me.  I feel an affinity to the Asian culture in general and any excuse to celebrate it or be a part of it is fine with me.  My children, particularly Our Lady of Awesome, seem to think that somewhere in the unknown genetic swamp that is my background (remember that whole adoption thing), I have some Asian blood running in me.  Totally works for me if it's true.

So as the Chinese New Year dawns, I am hopeful that it will be a prosperous year.  That would be good.  As someone told me on Facebook today, "You so need to get a job."  Trust me, I know.  Here's to hoping that a fortune cookie will yield a good fortune tonight and that a new job looms around the corner.

No comments: