26 January 2012

A tad excessive

I found myself downtown yesterday to meet a friend so we could catch up.  He was in town for meetings and was staying at the Ritz Carlton Chicago so that is where we met.  I got there a little early and had the chance to sit down in their lobby and do a little people watching.

I saw a range of humanity including a couple of Spanish senoras whose plastic surgeons had been a tad too liberal, even excessive, in their 'work,' as well as several members of the Indiana Pacers team.  They were in town to play (and, as it turns out, beat) the Bulls last night.  There were a few of the "ladies who lunch" milling about as well.  It was the kind of crowd you'd expect, given the surroundings.

What I didn't expect is what came off the elevator not long after I sat down:
A jumpsuit...
Off the elevator strode a woman in enough - PETA alert! - fur to warm a Tibetan village for the next ten years with a whippet-thin dog (and I should note that said dog was NOT a whippet).  The dog was dressed in a black jumpsuit.  The picture above is only for you to get an idea. Believe me, I would have loved to have gotten a picture but those kind of shenanigans are, well, frowned upon at the Ritz.  Anyway, this jumpsuit I'm quite certain was from a designer and probably cost more than one of my kid's tuitions.  I used the word 'excessive' earlier in this post and I'm here to tell you that this jumpsuit on this dog was excessive.    It was just silly.  I'm worried.  Something is a little off in a world where it seems imperative to dress a dog in a designer jumpsuit and where an angry, self-impressed politician will use the two daughters from his first marriage that he abandoned to smear the second wife that he abandoned to justify sleeping around with the woman who would become his third wife.  Wrong?  Excessive?

I think things have gone off the rails just a little bit.  It's time to start getting things back on track.  Let it start small with no more doggie jumpsuits.  It's a start.

No comments: