14 February 2013

Saying no to V. D.

Let me first clarify the post title. It is not a raging example of TMI. Raging may have been a poor choice of words now that I think about it, but I digress. It is a reference to my aversion to the foolishness that is Valentine's Day.

In short, I proudly maintain my decades long protest against this day. I have documented my aversion to this day in posts written on this day for the last several years. I won't bore you with it again. I will say that my first-born did me all kinds of proud today in a post in her blog about her own intolerance towards this day. As far as I'm concerned I've done my job as a father.

That said, she also used the post to talk about her thoughtful husband and their love story, so she kind of caved. Admittedly, so did I and here's how. After my best friend, my partner, my exemplar of all things good, my wife the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML got a dozen red roses today from me, it would appear I'd changed. It should be pointed out that said roses were sent, unbeknownst to me, by my mother. It should also be noted that I'm a middle-aged man whose mother is still trying to fix him. Is that pathetic or what?

Anyway, I did decide to step it up with a card and a Diet Coke as an observance of this day for this amazing woman who still thinks I'm not that big a train wreck after all these years. BTW - the Diet Coke had a heart on it. Nothing says loving people like a gift like that.

Now, in all seriousness, I am most fortunate that my wife said yes all those years ago when I asked her to spend forever with me. To say she took a leap of faith would be something of an understatement. I am in her debt forever for how she makes me want to be a better man/husband/father/person every day. I'm grateful that we laugh together a lot. I'm grateful that we've been able to figure things out. It's not always been easy (if you've read a lot of the Den, you've got a little insight into why it may not be so easy living with me), but it's always been worth it.

Thank you to the love of my life. Thanks for making each day amazing.

No comments: