15 February 2014

Cupid, Get Thee Hence

Truer words have never been uttered
Another Valentine's Day has come and gone. As has my steadfast and stubborn refusal to pay much heed to this day. I just can't won't do it. The reasons why are myriad and have been documented in several posts throughout the years here in the Den, so I'm not going to rehash it. What's worthy of discussion may be how deeply I've dug in my heels on this one...it's kind of crazy.

I'm not going to let some Zaftig little tyke from classical mythology, who bears a freakish and disturbing resemblance to one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Honey Boo Boo, named Cupid, dictate how I display my affection for she who I love the best on some given date on the calendar.

That said, it was good to take she who I love the best, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, to dinner last night. We joined two other couples at an Italian place and had a good meal and laughs. It was good to be out with the best friend I have ever had. I marvel each day at her goodness. I try to be better for her each day. Heaven knows that after twenty five years with me, she deserves it.

She deserves the best of everything. I've still got a ways to go to be the best, but I'm working on it. I am a decidedly lucky and blessed man. In spite of my irritation with the whole Valentine's Day thing and the dogged pursuits of Cupid, I am proud to declare how much I love the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML.

No comments: