04 May 2014

Interviews

It's not like this. At all.
As mentioned in yesterday's post, I'm going to be sharing some of the highlights of the path to The Boy's mission service. Today is another one of those posts. You have been warned.

With phase one of the process completed in the last couple of days, he's onto phase two - the interviews. He's meeting with our good friend, who happens to be our local ecclesiastical leader this afternoon. This is not a job interview, nor is it a pageant-esque interview. No one is worrying about whether he likes long walks on the beach or not. This is to assess readiness. A mission is a hard thing - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The interviews are a part of determining the readiness of a candidate. I think The Boy is more than ready. After all, he's managed to survive nearly eighteen years under my roof and the 'fun' that is having me for a dad, right?

As he interviews today, I can't help but recall my final interviews for my own mission service. At the time, my late father was my ecclesiastical leader who had the final approval as it were on my application for service. My father took his Church service with solemn responsibility. I mean, as I've said before, he'd be most comfortable mowing the lawn in a suit. So interviewing with him was daunting, at least, for me. I recall assuming that we'd just  do the interview at home. I could not have been more wrong. I made an appointment through the appropriate channels. I assumed we'd drive down to the church together that afternoon. Again, I was wrong. His executive secretary was waiting when I arrived and he informed me it would be just a moment. I asked if there were any other interviews that day and there weren't. I think about that today and smile. So my dad. There was a way of doing things and you did not deviate. No matter if it was your first-born son. You followed the course. There's a lot to be said for that. Admittedly, my nearly nineteen year old self back then thought it was a little insane but that's the beauty of growing older and a little wiser.

I don't remember much about the interview. I do remember when it was over that the 'leader' mantle came down and my dad became my dad. It was great to hug him and thank him, knowing I'd be doing something that would make him enormously proud. I also knew that I was going to be doing something for two years that was going to change me. It was going to make me a better man. Thirty years or so later, I think it did.
Now it's The Boy's turn.

As the totally non-Chinese saying goes, 'May you live in interesting times.' I must say, they are mighty interesting for us these days.

No comments: