23 January 2009

It's early in Honolulu

Thanks to the wonder of changing time zones, I've been awake since 4AM Honolulu time. Not that I'm complaining. I'd be a fool to complain about where my travels have taken me. I'm here for a meeting of NBTA and after the stupid, stupid cold we've had in Chicagoland, I'd be just silly to lament waking up early. I've got an oceanview room on the 30th floor of the Ala Moana Hotel and I am content. I'd be even more content had the stunningly patient SML been able to make this trip with me, but something tells me we'll be back here sooner rather than later.

Flight over was LONG. Almost as long as the non-stop to Tokyo from Chicagoland. Mother United's First Class service really has slipped. Very friendly crew but spartan service. The 777 was packed and the mob was a reflection of who travels to Hawaii in January. Elderly vacationers. I swear the average age on board that plane was 82. And feeble. By the looks of some of the living dead during boarding, I figured a medical divert was in our future. Alas, no.

I was bound and determined to get a run in, since I've been hostage to the treadmill for the last, long while, as soon as I could after landing. Within 40 minutes of stepping off the plane, mission accomplished. I was running along Waikiki Beach. It was a heaping slice of awesome. Not my performance, but being outside. Running. It was really nice. I did notice, however, that my suspicions about who vacations here this time of year were confirmed. Everyone on the beach, that wasn't Japanese, was at least 80, or maybe 800. It was a rough crowd. This elderly theme also played out at the Ala Moana Shopping Center next to my hotel. This much I'll say - I was relieved to see the Japanese tour groups. I've always used that as a global economic barometer. As long as the Japanese are touring en masse, all hope is not lost.

I hit a ramen joint that I like for dinner last night:


The wontenmen was really quite good. For some reasons, the green onions were a real standout. Seemed to just burst with flavor.

So on the food agenda after today's meetings...Chinatown. It's Chinese New Year and there are all kinds of celebrations afoot. I intend to be a part of it. And my beloved malasada. I'll be running, literally, to Champion Malasadas, later today. Check here for delicious!

1 comment:

jill said...

Aloha! Sarah might be right...you might be part Chinese. Enjoy Hawaii.