27 May 2009

What doesn't mix

Certainly you've had one of those times where nothing seems to go your way. I had about an hour of that tonight. I'd been in the office since 600AM - had a call with London and Hong Kong and I wouldn't be going home until late as I was meeting our Church youth group for an activity closer to my office. So I left the office a bit before 5PM in order to get something to eat before the activity.

I picked a harmless place, one of those chains specializing in fast casual. The northern burbs o'Chicagoland aren't exactly teeming in exotic food options, so I took what I could. I ordered some Wisconsin Mac N'Cheese and decided to spice it up with some sriracha sauce. Sriracha is awesome. It's popping up all over the place. Even the venerable New York Times just did a feature article on it. But I digress. So as I'm trying to shake a little sauce on my mac, it just wasn't coming out. So I gave it a little squeeze. And that's when it went horribly wrong. This is when I learned that these two things don't mix:


Somehow this sriracha had some kind of wicked backspin on it and I wound up looking like I had been shot. I'm not kidding. I had sriracha spatters all across my white shirt. Conundrum: I have to be to this Church gig in about an hour and I MUST be in an unspattered white shirt. So I finish my meal and I recall that there's a Jos. A. Banks store in the strip mall I'm in so I bolt over there. The sales guy didn't even have to ask what I needed when I walked in. Took me straight to the shirt section and within about 10 minutes I walked out of the store wearing a new shirt. That's when I discovered that my personal Blackberry was AWOL. Seriously. So I go back into the store and it's not there. I call it. No ring to be heard. I figure it must be back at the place I'd eaten. I go back and things look a little bleak. They must have had a shift change to the highly apathetic crowd. After several tense minutes, they managed to find the 'Berry.

All was well in the world again and I raced off to meet the youth for the evening. Made it. Wound up being a good night. Now let's see if the sriracha shirt can be salvaged. It's soaking in stain remover as we speak.

No comments: