05 April 2010

Food News - Good and Bad

Yesterday was a glorious day as we celebrated Easter. Wonderful spiritual instruction, gorgeous weather, and a delicious dinner surrounded by family. Ham done just right, potatoes, killer salad, asparagus, and amazing homemade wheat rolls. It was a good,good day for food.

And the good kept coming this morning. A reader of the blog read my earlier post lamenting my inability to find Lyle's Golden Syrup. On that subject, I took that search to the city on Friday and came up empty, so I was once again contemplating a haul to London. Anyway, this intrepid reader let me know that amazon.com has started selling this stuff. So first thing this morning, I logged on and searched for Lyles and within 30 seconds, my order was confirmed. To say I was delighted would be an understatement. Now I just have to wait patiently for the order to arrive. If all goes according to time, I should be making English flapjacks this Saturday. This, my friends, is very, very good news on the food front.

And now the bad news from the food front. It's a little known fact that the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken briefly when she was in high school. This was long, long before they changed their name to KFC in a vain attempt to hide the fried nature of their menu. She treats this experience very much like a veteran with PTSD. She barely speaks of it and the very sight of a KFC invokes near panic. If you ever want to have her freak, just ask her about the gravy on the mashed potatoes. That is a good time. The mere suggestion of stopping there elicits a very negative reaction. So we've pretty much never been there. That being said, I've always eyed KFC with some curiosity. I now look at it with revulsion. Why? Take a look at their newest product:

Yep, that's two pieces of fried chicken replacing the buns on a cheese and bacon sandwich. Just looking at it makes me kind of sick. I'm fairly certain that absolutely no good can come from it. To me, this is yet another sign of food armageddon. Like I said, this one was bad news on the food front.

Have I tried this? Nope. Will I? Nope. I'm no food puritan, not by any stretch of the imagination. But this one I just can't do.

No comments: