29 April 2010

Nervous. Officially nervous.

Earlier this week, I posted my plan for the week. It's Thursday evening, and to recap, I've run exactly 4.10 miles and I have the 1/2 marathon in 36 hours. I guess I took tapering to a new level. I tried to make it all work as planned, but no.

Monday - 13 hour day at work, although I did get my run in at lunch
Tuesday - 11 hours at the office and had planned to run when I got home. Instead, did the week's grocery shopping. Somehow going up and down the aisles of Target didn't count.
Wednesday - 345AM wake-up call so I could do my three segment, three time zone same day turn to PHX to bring my mom here. Thanks to some drama with an A320 going mechanical in DEN, that plan nearly got blasted. However, man does it pay to be Global Services with Mother United, or based on the latest rumours, should I say Unitental. They pulled it out of the proverbial flames, got me to PHX, and we got back to ORD early! So no run.
Thursday - 430AM wake-up so I could get into the office for a global conference call. Day ended 12 hours later and an unpleasant commute home. The winds here a living up the "Windy City" moniker tonight and there's just no way I'm going to try and fight the winds and get in a decent run.

So I will run first thing in the morning. Couple of miles to loosen my legs. And then we'll head down to Champaign. As of Monday, I was feeling primed. And now, I am as nervous as can be about my first 1/2 marathon. I've got to get a good night's sleep tonight. That should help to put me at ease. I need to get rid of this nervous thing. Because this is it. 36 hours and counting...

1 comment:

heidi said...

I was sooo nervous for my race too. Carb load the night before, and go to bed early is my advice. You'll do great, it's the best feeling in the world when you're done, after you get over the fact that your body hurts. But it's a good hurt. Have fun!!!