16 January 2011

Good, better, best

This Sunday was our annual Ward Conference at church so we had a slew of our local leadership present.  I had to give a stewardship report of my areas of responsibility and I managed to not get thrown out (I guess that's one of the advantages of a lay clergy).  Although when someone did volunteer my thoughts on the Scouting program, starting at the Cub Scout level, I managed to hold my tongue, mostly.  Mostly...

We spent a significant part of the day speaking about our theme from the Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:32: "Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him."  It was a good, thoughtful discussion and I found myself drawn to a topic we'd discussed earlier in the day - striking a balance in this world.  In spite of the headlines, there is so much good in the world and we have to choose.  When put in the perspective of why we are here, choosing can be even more difficult.  There are good choices, better ones, and the best ones.  Which one to choose?  The answer was found in a masterful talk by one I believe is a chosen apostle of God: 

"We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families." - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

So there you have it.  It makes sense and while easier said than done, it's the right thing to do.  You can read the whole discourse here.

To that end, I've turned off my work laptop.  The best choice?  Go hang with my family. 

No comments: