22 January 2011

That's never happened before

I may have mentioned in a previous post that I'd been afraid of donating blood for much of my life.  It was a fear that I did not overcome until my mid-30's.  My friend John and I finally manned up and went and since we managed to get through the first one without passing out, donating blood has become a habit.  It's become such a habit that the staff at the place where I donate seem to know me.  It's not like they yell out my name when I walk in, but they sure know I'm the guy with the long list of foreign country deferrals.

So it was no different when I walked in this morning to do my first donation of the year.  Same friendly people.  I was done in less than forty minutes.  I felt good, as I typically do and I heeded the instructions to not overexert shovel the snow myself today.

Later in the day, I started craving something to eat and initially I could not put my finger on it.  And then it hit me - I wanted meat, red meat.  In. the. worst. way.  While my house is hardly vegetarian, you're not going to find a side of beef in the freezer either.  This lack of red meat sent me spinning.  I could not shake the desire to tear into a steak or a really good burger.  This yearning was literally gnawing at me.  Suddenly, all I could here was the old tagline, "Beef.  It's what's for dinner!" rattle around in my head.  I found myself pacing in between the two refrigerator/freezers that we have in search of anything.  My search came up empty.

So to sate my hunger, I jumped in the car and went for a mediocre burger from a local place just down the street.  Did it do the trick?  I am pleased to say that it did.  But what brought this on?  And was I out of my mind for a craving like that?  If this ad is to be believed, the answer would be no:
Indeed, I was right!
I can only attribute it to the blood donation.  Maybe it triggered some kind of wacky need to replace iron.  And maybe it could only be found in a slab o'beef.  Anyway, meat crisis averted.  Whew!

1 comment:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Maybe it wasn't the blood donation that made you crave meat. Maybe you weren't even craving meat. My theory is that the lack of sunshine is making you want to kill something.