15 January 2011

What I'm reading now

So my most recent post was about the 38 books I tackled in 2009.  My 2010 reading started off with the amazing "Bloody Crimes" by James Swanson.  Highly recommended read and it has me all kinds of charged up about Abraham Lincoln so I made my way to the library today and, por fin, I finally checked out "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  I've been wanting to read this book about Lincoln's presidency for quite some time.  Glad that I'll now have the chance.  You may recall that I'd noted that juxtaposition posed in Swanson's book and that juxtaposition carries on in the other book I picked up while at the library today.  I got this:

That's right.  A book about Glenn Beck.  All I knew is that when I'd heard that he'd called the book "despicable, yellow journalism," I was nearly giddy.  Him saying that...the irony is just almost more than I can take!  I can't wait to read it.  Perhaps this may shed some light onto why a friend of ours has said that I remind her of Brother Beck.  That comparison has nearly unnerved me as I've thought about it.  I mean, I don't have the kind of audience he does (meaning I have none, other than you good readers of the Den).  OK, so I've cried in public a couple of times but seriously you try being the next speaker after a man with no arms or legs who has just given the most inspirational speech ever at a conference in Sao Paolo, Brasil without crying.  It didn't work for me, I'm just saying.

So here we go.  Reading about the triumph of ignorance.  Like I said, I can't wait. 

No comments: