25 June 2011

Closing the gap

Today, our Church's weekly news publication, the Church News, arrived.  It was the 4 June issue.  For whatever reason, it takes three, count 'em three, weeks for the current issue to get to us here in the Midwest from the Mother Ship in Salt Lake City.  Seriously, USPS, three weeks.  And you wonder why you continue to run a deficit in the billions!  Anyway, this week's issue featured more new Mission President's who will begin their three-year service in July.  I was delighted to see that one of my companions from my mission service more than 25 years ago has been called to serve as a Mission President.  We were Zone Leader's together and then he succeeded me as an Assistant when I went home.  I was not at all surprised to see him called to this incredible service.  He was amazing then and it's obvious he still is.

When I think about his being called to this service, I realize that I've got so much growing and learning to do in this life.  I've been in a bit of an introspective mood this week.  I've been thinking about the gaps, or should I say chasms, that separate me from the person I am and the person I should be.  I think it was brought on by last Sunday's change in our Bishopric.  I was released as a 2nd Counselor and called as 1st Counselor.  I'm serving with these great men:
I'm really grateful for their tutelage and mentoring.  And I'm even more grateful for their patience.  I'm looking forward to continuing to serve and to learn.


So, I've got some work to do on closing the gaps referenced above.  I realize that I'm in control of getting it done.  That makes it all the more interesting, right?

2 comments:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

And you thought I was joking when I teased you about being a Mission President...

Mr3Jack said...

Obviously you are a total slacker Mike. I thought you would be the first mission president.