13 June 2011

A repentant runner reports

I once called myself a runner.  After 25 - 30 mile weeks and two half marathons, I felt I deserved the title.  Then things changed and suddenly, I wasn't much of a runner anymore.  I could launch into a list as long as one of my long runs as to why it happened, but I won't.  They are all just excuses.  So now I am calling myself a repentant runner.  A humbled, chastened, repentant runner.

Modern-day revelation teaches that as we sin, we are chastened and we repent (Doctrine and Covenants 1:27).  Well, today, as a repentant runner, I got chastened.  Here's the proof:
A road rash chastens!
The chastening occurred as I was closing in on the second mile of what I had hoped would be a four-miler.  I'm not running with an iPod every time I run as I'm trying to focus on the mechanics of my running without the distraction of Coldplay's new song, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," which I am totally hooked on right now, and I was trying to mentally time my stride when I rolled my ankle and went down.  I literally bounced right up thanks to the 10 or more pounds I've gained back since I got slothful.  I guess that may be the one blessing of getting fat again.  It acts as a natural air bag.  Anyway, my ankle was throbbing instantly so that was the end of the run.  Crud.

I get it.  It comes with the territory.  I'm calling myself a repentant runner.  And anyone who's had to go down the road of repentance knows it's not easy.  So, up goes the ankle for the night while I plan my next run.  I don't want to be a repentant runner forever.  Meanwhile, the P90X DVD's sit on my desk, waiting to punish me.  That should be fun.

2 comments:

Kari Nitzel said...

Sorry to hear about your injury, get better soon.

Monty Newlin said...

The Doctrine and Covenants also says that we are not to run faster than we have strength. Personally, I've always been guided by the motto, "When I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away." Get better soon.