15 June 2011

Downstate

First, let me clear that "downstate" does not refer to my current emotional state.  Instead, "downstate" refers to where the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I are headed tomorrow.  The Boy is going too, but he'll be in a bus.  Let me be clear in stating that we, his parents, will not be on the bus.

School's over and it means it's time for Church Youth Conferences.  And we, thanks to me saying 'yes' without thinking it completely through, are going along as chaperones.  165 youth from our area are gathering tomorrow to jump on buses and head 'downstate' to Nauvoo.  We will be leading a group of fifteen kids for the next three days as we 'trek' about this place that holds such significant history for our Church.
I know it's only 14 kids, I couldn't find 15.  This isn't to suggest we've already lost one!
Those that have planned this event have put their whole souls into and I believe it's going to be a great time for those kids who attend.  It will be good to get to know these kids and to help them to get to know Nauvoo.  Nauvoo is a place of great triumph and epic tragedy in the Church's history and it's very important that we remember that history.  It's a reminder that it's not always easy to be faithful to what you believe.  It's a reminder that you can be tested to your very limits as you follow your faith.  I've been to Nauvoo a couple of times but have never seen it from this perspective so I'm curious to see what I'll get from the experience.  I'm hopeful.

While I'm hopeful about a good trip, I also know myself very well, which is why we are driving our own car and not riding one of the buses loaded with 55 14 to 18 year old kids.  It's bad enough that we are going that far (250 some odd miles) and not flying, if you ask me.  To be on a bus playing flight attendant/prison warden...yeah, no can do.  There, I drew the line.

2 comments:

Monty Newlin said...

Mike, you do realize, of course, that Nauvoo is not what we people from southern IL would consider "downstate." You still have to go more than 300 miles to get to the southern end of the state. There are very few places, however, that are more precious to me than Nauvoo. That is where I first heard of Joseph Smith and it is where I always return when I am in need of deep spiritual renewal. Have a great trip!

Kari Nitzel said...

I remember our youth conference to Nauvoo. It was a great trip. Hope you have a wonderful and an enlightening time.