19 June 2011

Faith in every footstep

As noted in my previous post, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and had the 'opportunity' to travel with the youth from our local congregation, or stake, to the former swamp known as Nauvoo, IL for their annual youth conference.  We left bright and early Thursday morning and returned late last night.  I'd like to take a moment for a bit of self-congratulation for the uber-wise decision to drive our own car.  I'll say nothing more of that.

The three days really were amazing.  I'd not had an opportunity to see the historical sites of Nauvoo in my previous visits and I was in awe.  Nauvoo's significance in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ cannot be downplayed.  It was a gathering place, a place of refuge, a tremendous place of learning, and a place of epic spiritual outpouring.  Spending time in that city gave me a sense of what happened there and filled me with a sense of awe as I thought about those who lived there at that time.  These were people who had just joined the Church and whose faith carried them through tremendous trial and tragedy.  As we walked through the Old Nauvoo Cemetery after hearing some amazing stories about people buried there, I was humbled to think of what these early Saints gave as they truly moved with "faith in every footstep.'

It was at that point on Saturday that I began to think of my late father.  In his own way, Dad was a pioneer.  Now, he didn't walk from his childhood home in Philadelphia, PA to Utah.  He drove an old Chevy.  And he wasn't fleeing religious persecution and extermination orders; he was looking to make some coin during the summer.  But that quest for cash led him to my mom and eventually, his conversion to the Gospel.  He blazed a new trail as a member of the Church and set in motion so many great things.  Many of those great things have come my way and on this Father's Day, as I reflect on him and all that he did, I am grateful.  He was a good, good father.  I miss him.  Today especially.

I'm trying, daily, to be the man, husband, and father that he would have me be.  Those are big shoes to fill.  There's a reason I refer to my wife as "stunningly patient."  Fortunately, she gets me and is helping to make a better man.  I'll get there someday.

No comments: