29 July 2011

The Doldrums - meh

I had my first experience with the summer doldrum phenomenon when I lived in Florida as a missionary.  It made August an unmitigated nightmare.  Any kind of heat-relieving cool ocean breeze came to a screeching halt during the doldrums.  It sapped you of any strength and made you look like a drowned rat since you were forever soaking in sweat.  Suffice to say, we didn't look forward to the "doldrums."

The doldrums have another connotation as well and that is that feeling of blah or "meh" that sometimes envelops us.  I find myself adrift in the doldrums this week.  It's been a weird week.  It has felt like it would never end and that there's just been a whole lot of listlessness.  I've not been able to put my finger on why the doldrums are here (perhaps it's a by-product of the ridiculous weather we've been experiencing - ridiculous heat during the day, drenching rains at night), but I'm eager to see them move on. 

The new month should push them out - we'll be just four weeks out until the wedding.  That can't come soon enough.  Maybe I could push out this doldrum thing by deciding to give up the deliciousness that is Coke Zero.  Drinking it came out of nowhere.  But what will I do without the stop at the world's slowest Golden Arches by our house for a $1 hit of goodness?

I may need to rethink that course of action... 

1 comment:

sofia123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.