20 July 2011

I'm not in that club

As of this writing, it would appear that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" is well on its way to making, what, something like eleven gagillion dollars since it opened a week ago.  OK, so I may be a few dollars off on its box office take, but I don't think I'm off by that much.  Seriously.

I must admit that I don't get the hype, the draw, the whole HP thing.  I am here to declare the following:
  • I have never read one of the HP books
  • I have never seen one of the HP movies.  Not.A.Single.One.
In making this admission, I realize that I have, by my own choice, ostracized myself from countless discussions that are going on about the movie and the series coming to an end.  I have never felt compelled to read one of the books or see one of the movies.  The youth in our ward, especially the young men, have banned me from any discussion that even touches on the movie. Some would suggest there's something wrong with me.  I don't buy it.  I just don't get the draw.  And I feel no need to get sucked in.

And here's another admission, I don't get this movie series either:
Like the HP series, I have not seen a single one of the "Lord of the Rings" movies either.  I never even read one of the books.  I did read "The Hobbit" in high school.  Before I was through the first chapter, I was wishing for the sweet relief of death.  I understand it's now being made into a movie.  I won't be seeing it.  I know that my not seeing any of these movies casts me further from membership in the club.  Once again, I'm more than fine with that.

I like my movie series in a more unrefined form - like the "Airport" series.  I'm talking "Airport," "Airport '75," "Airport '77" and the pinnacle of awful, gut-wrenching awful, "Airport '79 - The Concorde."  Or the disaster epics: "The Poseidon Adventure," "Earthquake," and "The Towering Inferno." I guess this is what happens when you start going to the movies in the 1970's.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I have not read any of those Henry Porter of whatever his name is books either. I did enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies though.

I guess that just means you are less of a geek than most of the population. I loved all those 70's disaster movies too.

heidi said...

I read the HP books but never caught the fever I don't get it at all. Not a fan. And LOTR same thing. LOTR just confuses me, where do they come up with this stuff...

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Excuse me, but how old are you? I had always pegged you for somewhere UNDER 60.