01 July 2011

A Night with Delta Rae


Last night, our fine city was rocked by Mother Nature (thank you, golf-ball sized hail) and by the musical force of nature that is Delta Rae (Full Disclosure - three of the four members of the band are my second cousins).  The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I were front and center in the audience enjoying the music as Mother Nature smacked Chicago around for the umpteenth time this year.

What an amazing show!  I love this description of the band:
Delta Rae is Mumford & Sons meets Fleetwood Mac - a full-throated Alt-Pop band with four lead singers - delivering crushing harmonies and one of the most electrifying live experiences on the club circuit.
  
They did not disappoint.  From "Morning Comes" to their encore number, "Darlin' If," every song was a showcase of the talent that every member of the band possesses.  "Deliver" was absolutely beautiful.  When the four leads sang in the audience acoustically, it was one of those musical moments that pretty much took your breath away.  The harmonies were beautiful, the drummer killed, and the guitars rocked.  Eric and Ian have written some pretty incredible songs and we really loved that we knew the songs (I know I am totally aging myself by saying that).  The energy that Brittany and Elizabeth put in their vocals lit up the dark basement club.  It was an incredible night!

One of the highlights for me was meeting my cousins again - I'd not seen them since 1995 when they were little.  They didn't know me from Adam but once we climbed up the family tree and made our connections, it felt like family.  I'm enormously proud of them and am in awe of their talent.  I'm also really glad they didn't note the fact that the presence of the mighty fine and stunningly patient SML and me skewed the audience age significantly.  I had twenty years on pretty much every on there.  Nice.

And now, since it's my blog and I can do this, I'm going to invite you to do a few things:
  • Go to deltarae.com and follow these guys on Twitter and Facebook
  • Consider helping them to get their first full-length album cut.  Go here to learn more on how you can get in on the ground floor of backing an awesome band
Finally, start your long weekend off right with a little taste of Delta Rae goodness:

1 comment:

Monty Newlin said...

Glad you had a good time. Amazingly good harmonies. No need to feel old -- I didn't even recognize any of the songs. How sad is that!