08 July 2011

Welcoming the new move-ins

As I've noted previously, I have the opportunity to serve as a part of the clergy, or bishopric, in our local ward, which is similar to a parish.  As a counselor in that bishopric, I have the opportunity to see a lot of good things happen.  People are, at their core, inherently good, I think, and I certainly have seen that in action as members of our ward interact.

One of the unique aspects of this opportunity is that it is done on personal time and it is not compensated financially.  It is truly a lay clergy across the Church.  People serve in different capacities all the time.  It's dynamic and it makes things interesting.  So when new people move into the ward, the bishopric makes it a point to get to know these new people.

Our ward is enjoying a mini-growth spurt right now.  The fact that we are close to a train station for the commuters and that there's only one high school within our ward boundaries makes it pretty desirable.  So earlier this week, the three of us who make up our bishopric went to pay a visit to one of new families.  These visits follow a familiar pattern:

  • We show up at the new home and are invited in
  • Chatfest begins - where are you coming from, where have you lived, etc. - the biography
  • More chat - talking about work, school
  • Then the question:  "Tell us about what you've done in the Church."
This is the $64,000 Question.  Why?  Because it can frame where you might be serving, sooner rather than later, in the ward.  It's funny to see how people respond to this question.  Some get that deer in the headlights look.  Others take in a breath deep enough to take the oxygen out of the room.  Others seem more than ready to respond.  The best responses are the totally uncensored ones, like:

  • I've worked in the Young Men's program for years and totally enjoy the activities.  But the Scouting stuff...merit badges.  Totally don't get it.  Don't see the need for it.
Queue the triumphant sounds of "The Hallelujah Chorus!"  That, my friends, is the kind of answer I totally appreciate and can totally support.  Anyway, we take in all the answers and then we will prayerfully (I promise) consider how those folks can serve.  It really is pretty cool.

We've got more new families to visit.  More things to learn.  And we're faced with a good challenge - staffing a ward that's pretty much fully staffed.  Good times.

2 comments:

Monty Newlin said...

What a blessing -- to have so many new people so anxious to help! I hope you do a much better job than I of keeping names and faces together.

tonya said...

I'm a new lurker, but I have to comment on this (btw, totally enjoyed the post about your interview with Awesome. recommended it to people). As a move in, I hate that question "what have you done..." I like to trust that the Lord will tell my bishopric where I need to be. I don't care what I do, as long as I can believe it's inspired that I'm doing it. I don't want it to sway them that cubs was not my favorite, because I have a testimony of the program itself, it was me that had the problem. I can see your point that if you need a scoutmaster who can get r done, that fellow wouldn't be your first choice, but then again, people can change, right? Sorry. I usually try not to make a first post be so in-your-face, but I can't help myself today. Thanks for the fine blog reading you provide!