07 February 2012

Ears to hear

Over the course of the last several weeks, my hearing has been getting progressively worse and worse.  It had gotten so bad that I began contemplating what life was going to be like with a device like the gent to the left is sporting.  Was this another sign of my march into solid middle-age? How much longer could I go on leaning into conversations without looking, well, pervy?

I finally decided to get an answer today by scoring a same-day appointment with our medical provider (yeah, COBRA coverage!).  I saw an internist and within twenty minutes and after a bit of  fun with some poorly named device called 'Elephant Ears,' I was hearing again.  I wanted to hug the doctor but given that I was wearing a lovely paper gown, I thought it might be a little awkward, so I refrained.

So here I am - hearing literally everything again.  Turns out I'm a whole lot louder than I thought.  I need to tone it down.  I'm not Nigel Tufnel - no need for the "11" notch.  In spite of being loud, it's good to be whole when it comes to hearing.  It's not something you want to be without.  I got to thinking about a scripture in the book of Matthew, chapter 11, verse 15 in the New Testament:

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Eight wise words.  We need to be active in our hearing.  We need to be open to messages both obvious and subtle, loud and quiet.  I find that when I'm actively searching for an answer that the answers come quietly.  That's how the Lord works with me.  Guidance comes quietly and I have to be alert and open to hearing those quiet answers.  I'm just glad my ears are back to working as designed.

1 comment:

Monty Newlin said...

OK, hold on. I'm glad you feel better and that you could find a spiritual connection. But, may I ask, what dr. were you seeing? One who puts you in a paper gown to check your HEARING? ("Dr., I have a sore throat." "OK, take off all your clothes.") Then one who cures your hearing with "elephant ears?" OR did I misread and they just tested your hearing, coming to the amazing conclusion that you talk too loud? Dubious diagnosis, since I've never noticed you talking too loudly. Oh, wait, maybe it's my hearing? Aaaaaagh!!!