04 February 2012

The travails of Mitt Antoinette

Queen Marie Antoinette once allegedly said, "Let them eat cake!" in response to the suffering of famine-stricken peasants during the reign of her husband.  To be fair and according to the truth monitor of the interweb, Wikipedia, there is no evidence that the ill-fated Queen (she'd have a date with a guillotine later in life that would go horribly wrong for her) that she ever made the now infamous declaration.

The same cannot be said of the Republican presidential nominee and heir apparent, Mitt Antoinette Romney.  He had an epic "Marie Antoinette" moment earlier this week on CNN in a live interview with Soledad O'Brien. In referring to America's poor, Mitt said:

"I'm not concerned about the very poor.  We have a safety net there.  If it needs repair, I'll fix it."

If you saw it, Soledad's reaction is priceless.  If you DVR'd it, you can play it back at super-slow speed and see where her head briefly explodes.

Mitt, in a now firmly established pattern, flipped on his comments, saying they needed 'context.'  He claimed they were a "misstatement" and that he "misspoke."  Umm, apparently.  But actions speak even louder.  Upon declaring his disregard for the poor, Mitt essentially genuflected before the King of All Tawdry Wealth, Donald Trump, in order to supplicate enough to get the Donald's endorsement.  Donald, a couple of things: A) the 80's called and want all the gold leaf back and B) gravity called and wants a serious explanation about your hair.

Like most politicians, and make no mistake, Romney is a politician, Mitt is shockingly out of touch.  But he seems particularly disconnected from the reality of America today.  This latest gaffe is proof positive of that.  

I'm eight weeks into unemployment now, Mitt.  Ask me about my safety net.  And about those nets, let me ask you something, Mitt.  Would you let one of your grandchildren use one of these nets?

I didn't think so.

3 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Excellent! Your graphic is perfect too.

Monty Newlin said...

Bravo, Michael! I could not agree more.

Unknown said...

I agree that Romney is disconnected from the "average American", whoever that is. But, more than connectedness, I am looking for an extraordinary man or woman whose core beliefs and principles are consistant with my own. That person should also have the intellectual capacity, practical experience and vision to lead our country forward. Although, I admit that Governor Romney does not appear to be all that I would hope for, I believe that he comes closer the ideal than any of the other candidates or President Obama. By the way, I love the graphic!