24 April 2012

When mothering goes horribly wrong

It's a well-known fact of life in nature that, on occasion, a mother will eat her young.  Many of us learned this lesson when we had pet hamsters/gerbils/or like creatures.  Once they reproduced, you had to get the babies out fast or many of them would wind up as their mother's dinner.  Many animals face an uphill battle from the moment they are born and enemy #1 is Mom.  For most of humans, it's the complete and total opposite.  Mom is our fiercest protector and that's exactly how it should be.

However, there are times when mothers turn on their children and things like this happen:
Wire hangers?  I think not.
"Mommie Dearest" is embodied all that can go horribly, horribly wrong with mothers.  It was epic and terrifying.

Epic and terrifying explains what I've been experiencing with Mother United.  I've been loyal, fiercely loyal to Mother United for more years than I care to count.But I fear that it's all been for naught.  I feel like Mother United, who's struggled for years as a single parent, after dating some interesting characters (and you know who you are), has brought home a keeper.  There's someone new on the scene.  And that someone ain't going anywhere.  Mother United, like that giddy newly-married one, is changing fast, and the changes aren't good, aren't good at all, for her loyal children.  She's pushing aside her loyal ones in the interesting of pleasing her new partner.  She's pushing them out.  That's not always the most pleasant feeling in the world.  If you've followed my travails on Facebook, you know it's not been good at all for me.

Well, I'm a big boy.  I get it.  I'll have to give some of Mother United's friends a try. It's going to be an interesting ride.

No comments: