17 June 2012

On Father's Day

A wise man heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke. ~ Proverbs 13:1

It's Fathers Day and I'm most appreciative of the counsel given in the Old Testament scripture noted above.  Truly, wise is the man who listens to the good counsel of his father.  And like the quote to the left, blessed is the man who hears many voices calling him father.

I was blessed to have a father who was wise, gentle, and one who counseled well.  Unfortunately, I probably was more often like the scorner who heard not the rebuke than I should have been.  I am acutely aware of my late father's absence on this day.  I would like nothing more than to be able to pick up the phone and wish him a good day and to thank him one more time for all he did for me.  His love for me, a child who didn't filter (and still doesn't) well the things he said, was unending.  His love for his children and his wife set the bar very high.  I work to get to that level each and every day.  I'm grateful, eternally so, for his example and I'm proud to be a son of John H. Lyons.  He was an amazing father, husband, and man. He taught me well.

I'm grateful for the fact that I am a father.  It's been the best experience of my life. I'm grateful for my children - Our Lady of Awesome, CAL, and the Boy. I'm blessed to have a son-in-law, Awesome, who comes from a long line of exemplary fathers and it's so good to see how he cares for my daughter.  I'm even more grateful for their mother, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML. My children are who they are because of her.  For that, they should be grateful. Had it all been up to me, I'd have taught them more lessons from 'Homer Simpson's Big Book of Parenting.'  That probably wouldn't have ended well.

And for those of you keeping score, we bought a house today.  The latest round of "Where Will We Live Now?" has concluded.  That is all.

1 comment:

Monty Newlin said...

Michael, I just saw your post. Thanks for the touching tribute to your father, coming, as it does, from a great father himself. And CONGRATULATIONS on buying the house. One more step to completing this transition.