23 March 2013

On the Humor Highway

Let me begin by apologizing (on the off chance that one or two of you have missed more regular posts here in the Den) for my absence of late. In short, work has been beating me down like a drunken wife beater in an Alabama mobile home park. Suffice to say, it's not been pretty and it's left me precious little time to do anything else when I get home than wish for the sweet relief of death. I kid. I kid.

With that out of the way, one of the things that has been a distraction from all the work madness, besides some amazing talks about what really matters with the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, has been laughter. With my Pandora tuned to a few comedy channels, I find myself laughing to and from work. I've been watching some things that are a lock on making me laugh and it's been quite therapeutic. Now, I'm the first to admit that my sense of humor is not for everyone but because my life, and I'll borrow a phrase from another blogger, is an open blog, I'll share a few of the things that have been taking me down the humor highway of late. Which, with my luck, will lead me into the abyss. Good times.

Comedians
Mike Birbiglia - he's a storytelling genius
Jim Gaffigan - pretty much the best way to recover after vomiting profusely somewhere over Saudi Arabia  during a 14 hour flight is heading straight from the airport after you land to one his shows. I know this from unfortunate personal experience.
Brian Regan - he plays clean. My people, the Mormons, love him. After seeing him live in a club in craptastic Ontario, California, I can never, ever look at an ironing board in the same way.
Maria Bamford - some of you may remember her as the crazy Target lady in the Christmas commercials. She's so much more than that and she's very, very funny.
Cheeseboy - he teaches elementary school. Why couldn't I have had such a funny teacher? Follow him on Twitter @cheeseboy22

Some of the comedians noted above curse. You have been warned.

Movies (in no particular order, either, and this is just the tip of the iceberg)
Airplane - see the "Detroit" post from earlier this month
Dodgeball - c'mon, Justin Long get nailed by a wrench! That's comedy gold, people.
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - an homage to all things funny
Oh Brother, Where Are Thou? - this is brilliantly layered funny

Other Junk
Because it comes from YouTube, I can think of nothing better to call it what it is: junk. But this stuff slays me. Here we go:

The Stop Sign Kid

It's stupid. The laughing in the background kills me every single time.

Faceballs - Ridiculousness

Go to 0:56 and see why I am probably going to spend a long time in Hell for how much this makes me laugh out loud each every time I watch it.

Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat

Sweet Brown is brilliant. She could read the Internal Revenue Service Tax Code and I'd be dying laughing. Particularly with the Auto-tuning. I can't get enough of this train wreck. What is wrong with me?

So that's it. I know. Just shake your head. I know. Something may be a little off with me. But I like me a good laugh and this stuff just keeps giving.

No comments: