28 April 2013

It's getting closer

My grandson lurking behind the stripes.  Oh yeah, his mother and aunt are in the picture too
As April draws to a close, which as a completely unnecessary aside, is totally unbelievable to me, the countdown to a huge milestone here in the Den is heating up.

Of course, I refer to the countdown to the arrival of our first grandson, who is still sans a name. The Boy Awesome is due in about four weeks and on the Nigel Tufnel scale, our excitement is at an 11. We are more than a little excited to welcome him into the world.

The Boy Awesome is coming into this nutty world when some of the more cynical amongst us wonder aloud why you would want to bring a child into this mess in a first place. Yep, the world is an orbiting train wreck, no argument here. But seriously, when hasn't it been? Aside from those brief moments of naked (seriously!) ignorant bliss in the Garden of Eden for Adam and Eve, things have been a little (he says with a heaping side of understatement) askew. I don't see that changing. But I still see the thing that balances out all that mess and that's the good in the world. There is still good in the world and I know my soon enough to be born grandson is going to feel of that goodness in spades.

How could he not? His parents are the Awesomes, after all. His paternal grandparents, after something like 300 grandchildren (OK, that may be a little exaggeration but they have a SLEW of grandchildren) have the grandparenting thing down cold. His maternal grandparents, us, are all kinds of excited to be a part of his life. Of course, we'll have to see how he deals with me. So long as I get him to have an affinity for Korean fried chicken and NPR fairly early on, we'll be fine. How soon before I can get him hooked on Kyochon?

No comments: