25 May 2013

The Loner(s)

With the impending and highly anticipated arrival of our first grandchild, The Boy Awesome, first-born of Our Lady of Awesome and Awesome, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML did as she promised upon hearing that she was to be a grandmother. She packed up her bags and left the Boy and I to fend for ourselves. She's happily ensconced behind the Zion Curtain, waiting for our grandson to show up. That's precisely where she should be and we wouldn't have it any other way.

In the meantime, the Boy and I are the proverbial loners in the Garden of Eden. I am pleased to report that we are quite fine. The bed, well mine at least, has been made every morning. The Boy's effort has been more interpretive, if you know what I mean (and if you have, or have had, a 17 year old son, you know precisely what I mean). We are eating, mostly at home, too. The laundry is done and I even did all the ironing, too. So the house is running along nicely.

That said, we are loners here. The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML has a way of filling our house with a sweetness that it needs. That need is made glaringly obvious whenever she is gone. That sweetness is not cloying, let me be clear. It's something that makes the Boy and me strive to be better. It will be good to get her back. The loners need her.

No comments: