01 January 2015

2015 - so far, it's going well

Well, here we go again. Another first day of a new year. Are you as giddy with excitement as I am? If so, then we aren't communicating because I would hardly describe myself as 'giddy' over the new year's dawning.

Looking for proof? Ask me how I rang in the New Year. By sleeping. I was out by 10:00PM. As far as I'm concerned, the New Year had arrived in one of my favorite cities in the world, Sydney, at 8AM on the 31st. So by the time 10:00PM rolled around, we were well into the New Year. Suffice to say, I'm not much for New Year's shenanigans.

Besides we needed to be out the door by 9:00AM this morning to get CAL down to JFK for her flight back to the Zion Curtain. Thanks to average airfares that are equal to the GDP of Sweden (you think I'm kidding) at our nearest airport, BDL, New York City-area airports are a necessary evil for us. However, there was no evil today. You see, the ride into JFK requires using Satan's second favorite stretch of highway (the first being the 91 in Riverside and Orange Counties in SoCal), the Van Wyck Expresslessway. The horrors of the Van Wyck are unspeakable, like any of Lindsay Lohan's recent films. Today, though, in both directions, a breeze, a veritable walk in the park. We covered the entire round-trip, including drop off at the mammoth Our Lady of the Perpetual Widget terminal and a stop at Connecticutistan's cleanest rest stop along the I95, in exactly four hours. Unbe-freaking-lievable!

We got home in plenty of time for the Comcast guy to get to the house to install our new internet network. He was able to come earlier than planned and had us set up on a network that, what's the word I'm looking for here, umm, works. This is shockingly refreshing as we've been stuck with what we thought was the worst internet service on the planet, save for North Korea (sorry, not sorry, Dear Leader), until they sold themselves to an even worse provider. How is that possible? Anyway, if the last two hours of glorious connectivity and response times that are actually responsive are a glimpse into our connected future, then we are golden.

So as far as I'm concerned, this New Year is off to an auspicious start! I like it. I'm happy. Doesn't take much, I guess. If only my wish for 2015 were as simple - that science can find a cure for the horrific scourge that is the Kardashians. Oh, a world without the Kardashians. Dare to dream, my friends, dare to dream.

May your 2015 be off to a great start as well.

No comments: