12 July 2015

On her birthday

This is NOT how we've celebrated
Lest anyone think I was somehow tipping off the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML about her birthday gift in yesterday's post, as I wasn't. When you've celebrated as many birthdays together as we have, birthdays come without a lot of fanfare.

Today is the 27th birthday that my wife has shared with me. See what I just did there? I told you how many birthdays we've had together without explicitly revealing her exact age. Another tick in the #Husbandoftheyear box! Yay me!

Her day began as it has for years. Breakfast in bed, served from a tray on the 'you are special' plate. It's funny how that breakfast has transitioned over the years. When flax seed is an important, dare I say critical, element, you know your carefree "Doesn't matter what I eat!" days have long since sailed on. Gifts were then opened and the Vancome Lady (see yesterday's post) would have no doubt spouted off some mildly judgmental whiff of approval in French again with the delighted reaction to the perfume, I mean par-fumeh.

Then, like any other Sunday, we went and got some religion. It was a good morning of church. Once we were home, I got down to business to make a birthday lunch. I made an "Asian Lemon Chicken" that I found on the Pinterests. With some brown rice and edamame, it was a really good lunch. I do, however, have a bone to pick with the web of lies that is spun by the pictures people post of their food creations on the Pinterest. On what planet does anything, EVER, come out looking so glossy as it does on their site? I'll tell you what planet - NeverNeverLand, that's where. As long as it tastes good and doesn't look like an organ transplant gone horribly wrong on the plate, I'm fine with it. So even though my chicken looked nothing like the picture, it sure tasted good. Mission accomplished.

We'll cap the day with a few friends coming over to celebrate and the day will be done. We won't be climbing on the dining room table to gaze longingly into one another's eyes, a la "Sixteen Candles." I'd probably fall off and break something, like my arm. Besides the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML has a pretty strict "No Ruining The Classic Films of the 80's with Crappy Reenactments" policy, so it's out of the question.

Sitting on the dining room table or not, all in all, it's been a good birthday here in the Den.




No comments: