11 March 2008

Single Dad - Day Five


So Shari high-tailed it to Phoenix five days ago to watch her nephew and niece...it's day five of single parenting here in Chicagoland. I have to say that we've gone the entire time so far without weeping, wailing, or gnashing of teeth - and the kids have done great too!

It did get interesting this morning though...I flew to New York City yesterday morning for two days of meetings, leaving Sarah (now 18) as the Comandante of the Casa. When I checked in last night before going to a black-tie dinner, all was well. So this morning, I'm racing up Madison Avenue, tux bag slung over my back so I can return the stupid thing before the late fee kicks in, I call home, mostly to make sure everybody's up. It's then that I discover that Parker spent the night puking a lung and that he's sick (I knew he was not faking because he said he was not going to the Bulls-Jazz game tonight.) Nice...I'm in New York City and Shari's in Phoenix. He sounds pretty pathetic at this point...I talk to Sarah and she assures me that he's fine. I call Shari and we talk and then I decide I need to come home.

My airline of choice, United, came through big-time. No change fees and a First Class seat on the delayed 10AM flight back to O'Hare. That delay rolled into almost ninety minutes on the taxiway, as we were like number 16 in line for takeoff. But I was on the ground in Chicago by 130PM and back home by 200PM, just in time for Parker to puke on the only carpet we have in the house, in the basement. Fantastic!

I put on my best bedside manner and we work on getting him better. I am pleased to report that by 5PM this evening, he seemed to be well down the road to recovery. And I got the stain out of the carpet. Color me happy.

Meanwhile, I discover that I have once again been implicated in politics (but not serious implications like the Governor of New York! For more on that trainwreck, read the New York Post - wild coverage - the headlines are priceless!) Our photoshopping mother of eight (yep, count 'em), Kelly, is at it again. Linking me this time to Shrillary. At first, my rage-o-meter started rising, but then I realized, no, this is good. When she tied me like glue to flypaper to the Mittster, he was out of the race in pretty short order, so I say keep tying me to She Who Cannot Be Named. Let's let it play out. And besides, we'll be back in SoCal soon...we can play it out live there. It'll be awesome!

2 comments:

kEllY said...

I'm so sorry Parker is sick. You are such a great dad to go home to take care of him. Sam is thrilled to get to spend time with him in a couple of weeks. I guess they are already planning some things. We are looking forward to seeing you guys. Your family is greatly missed around here.

Naomi said...

I personally think that Kevin is never sexier than when he is cleaning up one of our kids' puke off the carpet.

Greater love hath no man. . . than one who is there for his sickie kids'. You really are going for "Dad of the Year" aren't you???

And as if you don't have enough going on--to put your good name and effort behind such powerhouse female. (OK, I can't do it anymore. No one would be more thrilled than I if your being connected with the "Shrillster" in fact did bring her down. . .) However, I did get a really good laugh out of you "peering through the crowd."

That is one "Springer" I will have to DVR!