15 July 2008

"Final Salute"


During the excitement of the last few days - celebrating Shari's grand entrance into her 40's, having her sister Jill here, as well as my parents, I did find some time to read an amazing book. "Final Salute - A Story of Unfinished Lives" by Jim Sheeler is an intense, searing look into the impact of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Before I lose you, this book is not an indictment of President Bush and his decision to take the nation to war, nor is it a cry for us to run screaming from the conflict either. It's a look at what happens when soldiers come home, but when they come home in a casket draped in the American flag.


This photo was taken by Todd Heisler of the Rocky Mountain News and is featured in the book.

This is a stunning, extraordinary book. Sheeler had intimate access to the families that got the dreaded knock at the door. But even more compelling is the story of the Marine Corps major who had to knock on far too many doors. Major Steve Beck is everything that is right with the Marine Corps and more importantly, every thing that is right with a man who realizes that these families are hurting and that they are entitled to agonizing, hurting, and healing.

I defy you to read this book without shedding a tear or wondering how you would react if you ever got that knock. Or how would you handle the task that was given to Major Beck? Regardless of your feelings about the war, this book reminds each of us in a most compelling way of what sacrifice really means. I'm afraid in all the screaming about the validity of this war, we've lost sight of the fact that lives are ending too soon that sacrifice is being forgotten under the weight of a lame duck presidency, a never-ending presidential campaign, and the photo war over the Pitt-Jolie twins. Seriously...read this book. It'll make you think and it will remind you of how fortunate we are to live in a nation like ours.

1 comment:

heidi said...

I think I may like this book. I don't really have an opinion on this war, but I can imagine how horrible it must feel when a loved one is killed.

I think I try to put myself in a bubble when it comes to the war. I don't understand enough why we are there--I just know the importance of supporting our troops out there and anywhere for that matter. I try to be respectful when the matter is brought up and keep my mouth shut because I know I don't know enough to even get involved in a conversation.
Maybe this book will shed a little more light into my world about the war and what it has done to families.

I'll look for it on Amazon.